Monday, July 13, 2009

It's a brave new world...

but am I really interested?

Okay, so assignment this was simple enough, I went to Google Reader and subscribed to NPR's Planet Money podcast, which is something I always think about doing when I hear them mention it on the radio. So far so good, now all I need to do is find the time to all 65 back issues and I'll be 100% up to date. Like that's going to happen. Yes, I know, I know, I don't have to listen to any of the back numbers or I can pick or choose etc. I have iTunes at home, and actually subscribed to a couple of podcasts there, but the problem is that I only sync my iPod if I'm adding new music and that's kind of rare. And even if I have a podcast on my iPod I'm more likely to say "ho hum" and choose a favaorite playlist instead.

It's not that I don't appreciate the potential...is value the right word...maybe utility is better...of podcasts for entertaining and informing people. Webcasting video might even be better. It's just that I don't have any burning desire to bend media to meet my schedule. I'm still happy with the old paradigm. Maybe it's because I don't pay much attention to media on a regular basis. If I turn on the TV (which is pretty rare really) and there is nothing on, I turn it off. Ditto the radio, and mostly I just listen to the evening news and the Pirates games. Now, if you could get me a podcast of the Buccos where they edit out the bad innings (which see: bottom of the 9th on Saturday July 11th) and replace it with soothing music to assuage another horrible loss..well send me a link. But otherwise, podcasts and I will go on ingoring each other. The republic will survive.

2 comments:

  1. Well Jeff, if you could have that happen with the Buccos, you'd make a great many people happy! And you're right, any tool is only valuable if you need it or want it. My grandmother swore that you could fix anyting in her house with duct tape and a hammer. But that's a story for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm surprised somebody hasn't started a "Buccos therapy" podcast yet. That would be worth listening to, I think!

    ReplyDelete